Main Image
Exhibit




SCIENCE IS WE - MBL SUMMER 1954

Mrs. Snows Fancy Dry Goods

The Allen Collection, Woods Hole Historical Collection
Enlarge Photo
This postcard shows the residency building of the U.S. Fish Commission and the Woods Hole Yacht Club. The Fisheries, one of several scientific institutions in Woods Hole, was established in 1871 under the direction of naturalist-zoologist, Spencer Baird. The Richardson-style residence was constructed in 1884, followed by the laboratory, hatchery and aquarium. The Woods Hole Yacht Club was constructed on Bar Neck Road in 1899, with Henry Dyer as commodore. Both buildings were destroyed by Hurricane Carol. Mrs. Snow's dry goods store on Water Street catered to the local community, selling such varied items as toys, books, underwear, ribbons, cigars, Moxie and tennis shoes. The remodeled building now houses the MBL Club and the Robert W. Pierce Visitors Center.


Curated by Ann Weissmann, Exhibitions Curator MBLWHOI Library




Introduction - Exhibit - Contacts - Virtual Tour - MBLWHOI Library

copyright © 2006 by The MBLWHOI Library

Technical Support
webmaster@mblwhoilibrary.org

HOME
Introduction
Exhibit
Contacts
Virtual Tour